#20Greateen is almost over and what a year it has been! What does 2019 hold for you? If you’re a teacher, you’re probably thinking, like you do every year: How can I make more money? How can I maximize my impact? How can I make more time to be free and to live the life I want?
Here are some jobs that you are probably in a prime position to do in 2019 if you wish to make some extra cash on th side or venture out on your own:
- YouTuber / Content Creator: YouTube is the new classroom. We live in a DIY world where people of all ages are taking their education into their own hands. But even with the emergence of YouTube, IGTV, Vimeo, Facebook Live and other video-sharing platforms, there is still a palpable shortage of quality online content, especially for school-age students in the Caribbean. Do you have high-quality lessons, worksheets, videos and other content? If you don’t, could you make some in the coming year? You could even create a website to offer your content to the public or create an online course on a site like Udemy. The world is your oyster. You are the pearl.
- Blogger: You have a special field of expertise in both your content area and in education itself. Can you help students get more out of their education? Can you help other teachers do their jobs better? Can you highlight major problems in your field, open discussions, create community and offer solutions? Then, welcome, my friend! You’re a blogger!
- Author: Everybody has a story. It could be the story of your life, your job, your field of study or something else. Commit to writing one chapter a week or even one chapter a month. Set aside a day and time each week to work on it. Even if it’s rough, just write; you can edit later. You can even ask someone else to edit with/for you. But don’t hold back. Just go for it!
- Tutor: This is probably something most teachers are already involved in. Are you? Could you get involved? If you are already involved, how can maximize your reach? What can you do to stand out by offering something no one else is offering?
- Consultant: You are an expert in your field. You have knowledge and skills that people want but don’t have the time or skills to acquire. Give the people what they want, what they need. What they need is you.
- Professional Hobbyist: I know so many teachers who are super talented at things that have nothing to do with their jobs. An English teacher who is a vegan chef. A Math teacher doubling as a party decorator. A dancer/choreographer posing as an Economics teacher. You might be a skilled nail technician, gardener, editor, baker or public speaker. Maybe, thus far, you have only used your special skill for fun or to help out friends and family. But why not take a leap turn that passion into a career?
I know it may seem daunting but here’s how to start:
- Do some research by asking questions or using the Internet.
- Get a support group made up of people who are willing and able to offer technical assistance, advice, critical feedback, inspiration, encouragement and emotional support. Ask for help.
- Stop doubting yourself. There are lots of people out there who are less qualified than you are, who are doing the things that you’ve only dreamed of doing simply because they believe in themselves.
- Stop waiting for everything to be perfect.
- Stop procrastinating.
- Surround yourself with inspiration daily.
- Give your goal a date and break it down into micro-sized pieces.
- Keep your phone off and far away while you work.
- Just start.
You can do it and you have everything to gain.
When I started this blog, I had a burning desire to do something new and all I knew was that I just didn’t want that fire to die. So I just started. And even though it’s not some major sensational success just yet, I felt, from my very first post, that something inside me shifted. I am changed and I have no intention of turning back. I realize now that as I am molding my dreams, my dreams are molding me.
Let’s make 2019 #20ShineTeen #20FineTeen #20MineTeen. (We’ll work on the hashtags but you get the point.) Whoever you are, whatever you do, take control of your life. Take the lessons you’ve learned this year and make next year the best ever. Let the miseducated rise and grind.